Saturday, April 12, 2014

Anime Website


Anime Freak TV does encompass being a community through having a general hobby/interest throughout the site.  It has all different types of anime and has links to anime episodes and movies.  It does apply to a certain group of people, being people who like anime.  However, the site allows for little interaction between users.  The forums are confusing to use and there is never really anywhere to have conversations with others about anime.  So I would consider this a similar interest site but definitely not a community.  

4 comments:

  1. I like your point about ENCOMPASSING a community as opposed to BEING a community. Perhaps, we could even say that it ENCOMPASSES a population of similar interests but has not developed either the informal or formal structure necessary to be a community in terms of boundaries, privileges, protection, governance, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is in fact a chat box far down the front page, but it's possible to remain anonymous and the focus of it doesn't even seem to be on anime (from what I've seen). I still agree with you on it not being a community, and more like encompassing a community, because of how little focus is put on the interaction between users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting points about "encompassing" but not "being" a community per se. I'm going to have to take that into consideration next time, as I wrote my post with the idea that if enough elements of community were met that it automatically qualified as some sort of community. I now understand that there are shades of grey in between "is a community" and "is not a community".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with your conclusion that Anime.tv is not really an online community. As I stated in my blog post (http://maincoursechi.blogspot.com/2014/04/taking-look-at-www.html), one of the main points that keeps Anime.tv from becoming a "real" community is the lack of communication between users, as well as lack of content brought to the table by the "community members."

    ReplyDelete